By Dave Simpson
-- Metalogix recently released the 4.0 version of its Professional Archive Manager (PAM) for Exchange software, and a key lure for end users may be the pricing of the software -- $15 per mailbox, starting at a minimum of 100 mailboxes. Other email archiving packages typically range from $35 to $40. Metalogix' pricing is independent of the number of mailboxes being archived.
Via a combination of hierarchical storage management (HSM) and single instance storage (SIS) technology, PAM can typically reduce Exchange storage capacity by 80% and backup times by 50%, according to Metalogix CEO Chris Risley.
Metalogix hopes to grab a larger slice of the email archiving market, which represents annual revenues of $500 million to $750 million, according to various market research firms.
The 4.0 version of PAM includes a number of enhancements, mostly in the areas of global email management, e-discovery, email lifecycle management and disaster recovery:
• Federated search across file shares, SharePoint and Exchange. (The 3.0 version lacked cross-platform search.)
• "Search within a search" functionality, which enables administrators to tighten searches and eliminates the need to re-do the original search.
• Enhanced e-discovery, search and litigation hold functionality. For example, one new feature provides the ability to add comments to emails and share them with select personnel in order to improve workflow.
• Tagging and archived document classification support, including the ability to search by tags.
• PST file segmenting for automatic exporting of PST files, including the ability to define the maximum size of a PST file and the export automatically creates multiple PST files.
Metalogix also added a wizard that performs the initial configuration functions (e.g., create groups, import users, set default retention categories, etc.) in order to simplify installation.
For more information and to download a free trial go to: