- The Information Storage Industry Center (ISIC) at the University of California, San Diego, has formed the first global special interest group to be supported by the ISIC’s StorageNetworking.org Initiative. The StorageNetworking.org Finance Special Interest Group (FSIG) is being created for data storage professionals who are employed by financial institutions. It will serve its members by facilitating the exchange of information and ideas related to the effective application of data storage technology. The FSIG founding members include Nationwide, Merrill Lynch, City National Bank, and MGM Mirage.
- TimeSpring Software and Cybernetics have an agreement under which Cybernetics will include TimeSpring’s TimeData continuous data protection (CDP) software with its iSAN Vault line of iSCSI storage solutions to create a turnkey data-protection appliance for SQL Server, Exchange, and NTFS. The iSAN Vault CDP system captures and stores all data changes in real-time so users can recover from data loss, corruption, or security breaches within minutes, according to company claims. TimeData CDP software is file-based and application-aware and captures all changes to Windows application data as they occur.
- Fujitsu Ltd. of Japan has incorporated Emulex’s 4Gbps FibreSpy SOC 804S and 4Gbps InSpeed SOC 422 embedded storage switches into the new ETERNUS 4000 and ETERNUS 8000 storage systems. The new ETERNUS storage systems are the first to combine Emulex’s root switch and SBOD (Switched Bunch of Disks) architectures.
- Imation has completed its acquisition of Memorex in an all-cash transaction, from Hanny Holdings of Hong Kong and other shareholders of Memorex. Actual purchase price was $329 million, after net asset adjustments were made to the original purchase price of $330 million. Additional cash consideration ranging between $5 million and $45 million will be paid out over a period of up to three years after close, contingent on financial performance of the purchased business.
- Bocada has become a member of NetApp Partner Program, which enables partners to rapidly deploy support for NetApp enterprise-ready storage and data-protection solutions. Bocada will provide managed services to end users with its Bocada Enterprise 4 platform.
- iStor Networks has a partnership with Rackmountpro, a Yang-Ming international corporation. The companies are building a product portfolio that will support high-performance streaming video applications using iSCSI subsystem solutions. The Rackmountpro product will feature the GigaStorATX.
- Sepaton has teamed with Kashya to bring integrated disaster-recovery solutions for virtual tape libraries to market. The joint solution will comprise Sepaton’s S2100-ES2 virtual tape library appliance and Kashya’s KBX5000 data-protection platform.
- Venaca, a provider of Media Asset Management (MAM) systems for large media enterprises, and Isilon Systems have joined forces to deliver a solution enabling media and entertainment companies to streamline workflows and preserve the core value of their assets. This solution combines Isilon IQ clustered storage with Venaca’s S3 MAM system to create an instantly searchable and accessible repository of media assets.
- LXI Enterprise Storage and Spectra Logic have a partnership whereby LXI’s OS/400 Backup Director multi-protocol bridge-router, an IBM emulation bridge, can connect iSeries/AS400 data-center users to any Spectra Logic library or stand-alone drive. The LXI device allows access to any drive type in a Spectra product, which can include AIT, LTO, SDLT, SAIT, or RXT SabreDisk.
- OpSource has increased its storage capability for its customers’ Software as a Service (SaaS) applications by leveraging the 3PAR InServ S800 Storage Server.
In anticipation of belt tightening and possible budget cuts heading into 2009, IT buyers adjusted their spending and…